Landscape with Snow (1888)

Landscape with Snow (1888)
Painted in February of 1888, Van Gogh painted the dreary furrowed fields of winter. A lone figure with his dog trudge toward home. Located in the Guggenheim, I was moved to view this painting this past weekend.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Grinling Gibbons

Happy Birthday Grinling Gibbons!! You will have to excuse me, but I am in Hawaii for one of my second daughters' weddings: Celeste Cline, and I have been slightly preoccupied with Easter Sunday (He is Risen!) and all...But, anyway...Gibbons was born on this day in Holland in 1648....A woodcarver, some even say the best in the world, ever, and I tend to agree...especially after seeing some if his work!! Wow! Gorgeously intricate!! It is said that the flowers in one of his carvings were so finely carved that they would sway in the breeze. He was a carver for the king...and no wonder! His work could be found in St Paul's Cathedral, the Palace of Windsor, and the Earl of Essex's house. Below is an exquisitely delicate carving by Grinling Gibbons.


1 comment: